Adoption Credit & Expenses

Can I claim an exemption for my child that I am adopting and who does not have a Social Security number yet?

Parents in the process of a domestic U.S. adoption, and who do not have the child's Social Security number, should request an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number by using IRS Form W-7A. Form W-7A is the Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending Adoptions. To get this form you should go to either the IRS website, a local IRS office or call 1-800-829-3676.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Adoption Credit & Expenses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.