Armed Forces Tax Information

I am serving in the Armed Forces outside a combat zone. Is any part of my military pay excluded from gross income?

Payment for service outside a designated combat zone is not excluded from income unless the pay is hostile fire/imminent danger pay for serving an area in direct support of military operations in the combat zone. The Department of Defense certifies areas that meet these requirements. Hostile fire/imminent danger pay received for service in a non-certified area is taxable. Generally, hostile fire/imminent danger pay is included on Forms W-2 for persons who do not qualify for the exclusion and not included on Forms W-2 for persons who do qualify for the exclusion.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Armed Forces Tax Information" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.