Cancellation of Debt

What Form is a Cancellation of Debt reported on?

Form 1099-C is issued by banks, credit unions and federal government agencies that forgives or cancels a debt that you owe $600 or more. Generally the amount in box 2 must be reported as other income on Form 1040 line 21 unless one of the exclusions applies.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Cancellation of Debt" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.