Capital Gains & Losses

Worthless Stock - bad debt deduction?

If you own securities and they become totally worthless, you can take a deduction for a loss, but not as a bad debt. The worthless securities are treated as capital assets sold on the last day of the tax year. Report worthless securities on IRS Form 8949 and Schedule D.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Capital Gains & Losses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.