Capital Gains & Losses

Capital loss carryover - married filing separate filing status

The capital loss carryover from your previous year's married filing joint return may only be claimed on the married filing separate return of the spouse who originally incurred the loss. You cannot use 50% of the loss if it originated from your spouse's sale of a asset.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Capital Gains & Losses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.