Capital Gains & Losses

Trade date or settlement date - reporting stock sales

Proceeds from stock transactions are reported to individuals on Form 1099-B. The individual transactions are entered on IRS Forms 8949 and Schedule D. The sales should be listed, including the trade date, not the settlement date.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Capital Gains & Losses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.