College Planning & Financial Aid

Is Financial Aid available to families who are Home Schooling their children ?

The US Department of Education's Office of Elementary and Secondary Education does not currently provide any funding for home schooling. Many states require that home schooled children take the GED to be eligible for state aid for college. To be eligible for federal student aid, the student must pass an independently administered test that is used to determine the student's ability to benefit from postsecondary education. Tests approved by the US Department of Education include the ACT, ASVAB, ASSET, BEST, ETS TALS forms A and B, GED, PSAT, SAT, SLEP, TABE, TOEFL and several others. Call 1-800-4-FED-AID for a full list of approved tests. You can call the National Home Study Council at 1-202-234-5100 or writing to the Executive Director, National Home Study Council, 1601 18th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009 for additional information. Also you can call the Office of the Secretary of the US Department of Education at 1-202-401-1365.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "College Planning & Financial Aid" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.