College Planning & Financial Aid

What is a Section 2503(b) trust that can be set up to pay for my child's education ?

A useful way of funding college costs is to set up an IRS Section 2503(b) trust. This trust works well with large sums of money. Parents can contribute up to $13,000 per year per child to this kind of trust and still qualify for the annual gift tax exclusion. Funds within the trust can be accumulated and principal payments delayed until college. A 2503b)trust requires that all income be paid annually or more frequently to the beneficiaries. Principal payments can be delayed until age 21. Income distributions can be planned by various investment strategies. Principal can often be left in trust for periods of time exceeding the child's 21st birthday. Speak to your local CPA about this college funding tax strategy.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "College Planning & Financial Aid" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.