Dependents & Exemptions

Can I claim a child tax credit for my grandchild that lives with me that I claim as a dependent ?

A qualifying child for the child tax credit must be a grandchild, son or daughter, adopted child or eligible foster child. That child must live with you and you claim her as a dependent and she is under age 17 at the end of the year and a citizen or resident of the US. If so, then you can claim her as a qualifying child for the child tax credit.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Dependents & Exemptions" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.