Dependents & Exemptions

Can I claim my child as a dependent if she or he was born in a foreign country ?

The dependent must have been at some time a citizen or resident of the U.S., or a resident of Canada or Mexico or a U.S. national. If the other dependency tests are met, then yes. A child born in a foreign country with one of the parents being a U.S. citizen and one a non-resident alien qualifies as a U.S. citizen and a dependent. Speak to your local CPA for more on the details of claiming the dependent.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Dependents & Exemptions" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.