Divorce & Marriage Issues

If I live with my girlfriend and support her, can I claim her as a dependent ?

Not necessarily. Cohabitation may be technically illegal in your state. The IRS will follow the state law in determining whether your relationship is in violation of any state domestic law. When no local law is violated, a dependency exemption is allowed.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Divorce & Marriage Issues" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.