Divorce & Marriage Issues

Divorced in December - Do I file using joint or single filing status ?

Regardless of the date, if you are divorced during the tax year or have a separate maintenance agreement, you are treated as unmarried for the whole year. If you remarry before the end of the year, you will be treated as filing a joint return or you may elect to file as married filing a separate return. An unmarried person with a child may use the filing status of head of household. A unmarried person without a child will be treated as single. Speak to your local CPA before you file your tax return.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Divorce & Marriage Issues" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.