Divorce & Marriage Issues

Just married - Social Security number change

When you get married or divorced and your name changes, your Social Security number will not have to be changed. You should have the name itself changed on your Social Security account to reduce any chance of problems in the future. Changing the name on the account will require a call to or a trip to your local Social Security office. You must fill out a change of name form. You will need either a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce document or other legal proof of the name change. A new card will be mailed to you within two to three weeks, which will show your new name with the same Social Security number.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Divorce & Marriage Issues" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.