Divorce & Marriage Issues

Divorced - Social Security card change

When you get divorced or married and your name changes, your Social Security number will not have to be changed. You should have your name changed on your Social Security account to reduce any chance of problems in the future. Changing the name on the account will require a trip to your local Social Security office, where you must fill out a "change of name" form. You will need either a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce document or other legal proof of the name change. A new card will be mailed to you within two to three weeks. It will include your new name with your same Social Security number.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Divorce & Marriage Issues" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.