Estate Planning

My spouse died during the year. What filing status do I use to file my income tax return?

You have the right to file jointly in the year your spouse died. Include your spouse's income earned only through the date of his or her death. Income earned after his or her death may have to be included on the decedent's estate income tax return which is filed on form 1041. To determine if it is necessary to file this tax return or an Estate 706 return, contact a local CPA.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Estate Planning" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.