Filing Status & Requirements

Deceased Spouse - what is my filing status?

You should file a "joint" tax return and include the deceased income earned and applicable deductions prior to your spouse's death. A joint return is filed by yourself and the executor or administrator. Do not include income earned after the date of death. This income is considered "income in respect of a decedent" and is taxed to the Estate or beneficiary receiving the income in the year of the receipt. The income must be reported by the Estate (if more than $600) on Form 1041. Speak to your local CPA about the personal and Estate tax returns that you need to file.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Filing Status & Requirements" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.