Head of Household

I am separated from my husband Can I file as Head of Household ?

If you lived apart from your spouse and your child lived with you for most of the year, you may qualify as unmarried head of household if the following criteria are met. Your spouse was not a member of your household during the last 6 months of the year. You provided over half the cost of keeping up the household. You maintain your home as the principal place of abode for your child, stepchild or adopted child for more than half of the year. You are entitled to claim the child as a dependent. Speak to your local CPA if you still have a question about your filing status on your tax return.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Head of Household" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.