Moving Costs

Can I claim a Moving Expense deduction for my move to a new job location that is 45 miles away?

An employee or self-employed individual may deduct as an adjustment to gross income the costs of moving him or herself and his or her family from one location to another. The move has to be related to starting work in a new location and the amount claimed has to be reasonable. In order to claim this deduction the distance between the new job location and your old house location must be at least 50 miles or more than the distance between your old job location and your old house. Also you must work in a locality of the new job as a full time employee for a tleast 39 weeks during the twelve month period immediately following your arrival at the new job location. The deduction is claimed on IRS Form 3903.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Moving Costs" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.