Moving Costs

Can I claim a moving expense for moving out of the US to Japan ?

Yes. A moving expense deduction is permitted in connection with a move outside the US or its possessions. An additional deduction is allowed for foreign moves for reasonable expenses of moving household goods and personal effects to and from storage and of storing them for part or all of the time during which the new place of work abroad continues to be a taxpayers principal place of work.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Moving Costs" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.