Social Security

Social Security - Documents for Survivor Benefits Claim

When applying for social security Survivors benefits for yourself and your children, you should have your and your spouse's Social Security numbers, your and your children's birth certificates, and the children's Social Security numbers. You will also need to provide evidence of your wife's death (death certificate) and your marriage. (Marriage certificate). The documents need to be originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. Uncertified photocopies are not acceptable. The social security administration will return the original documents to you. It is best to call the Social Security's toll free phone number first to set up an appointment so you will not have to wait. The telephone number is 1-800-772-1213.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Social Security" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.