Social Security

Social Security - Correcting a Social Security Number

If your child's stock was sold through a custodial account and the tax information statement incorrectly reflects your Social Security number instead of your son's Social Security number, you should fill out IRS Form W-9 which is the Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. Circle your child's name and his Social Security number on the form. Submit the corrected form to the financial institution that issued the incorrect statement. Instruct them to correct the information on the account and reissue you a corrected tax information statement.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Social Security" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.