Taxes - My Tax Return

Where can I get information about becoming a licensed IRS tax preparer ?

Effective January 1, 2011, the IRS will require all paid tax preparers who sign federal tax returns to have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). IRS online registration for tax preparers will start September 1, 2010. Tax preparers will need to register with the IRS and obtain a valid PTIN no later than December 31, 2010. Tax preparers who already have a PTIN will be reissued their current PTIN when they register online. Currently, there is no application fee for PTINs; however, the IRS does plan to charge a PTIN fee (new and renewing applicants) once registration starts September 1, 2010. In addition to the PTIN requirement, paid tax preparers who are not attorneys, certified public accountants or enrolled agents will have to pass an IRS competency exam and complete continuing education requirements. Nonexempt tax preparers will be required to: Obtain a PTIN. Complete 15 hours of continuing education on federal tax laws each year. Renew IRS registration every three years from the date of initial registration. Within three years of initial registration, pass a competency exam from the IRS. Starting January 1, 2011, nonexempt tax preparers who fail to meet the December 31, 2010 registration deadline will have to pass the IRS competency exam before they can be issued a PTIN. Exempt tax preparers (attorneys, certified public accountants and enrolled agents) can still register after December 31, 2010; however, they cannot prepare or sign federal tax returns until they register with the IRS and obtain a valid PTIN.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Taxes - My Tax Return" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.