Where/How Do I File?

How do I get a Social Security number for my child ?

You will need to file form SS-5. Contact your local Social Security office or go on the Internet http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ and download the form. If you are expecting a child to be born this year, keep in mind that you will not be able to take a deduction for your new baby without the social security number. Most hospitals are aware of this and provide the forms along with birth records.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Where/How Do I File?" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.