Where/How Do I File?

How do I get a copy of my tax return ?

You have three options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts by phone, by mail, or online. The IRS online ordering method, Order a Transcript, is available and makes ordering simple. You may also request transcripts by calling 1-800-908-9946, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506-T. The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts. A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income. If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), you should complete Form 4506, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions, along with a $57.00 fee for each tax period requested. The check or money order for the fee should be made payable to the "United States Treasury". Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years. Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Where/How Do I File?" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.