Taxes - My Tax Return

Can I claim my father-in-law who lives with me as a dependent?

There are five dependency tests that all must be met before you can claim a person as a dependent on your tax return. The relationship, gross income, support, residence and joint return tests. Your father-in-law would qualify in the relationship test. The relationship test includes child, adopted child, grandchild, stepchild, great-grandchild, brother or sister, son or daughter-in-law, father of mother-in-law, brother or sister-in-law, grand-parent, step-parent, stepbrother or stepsister, half-brother of half-sister, and blood relatives of uncle, aunt, niece or nephew. Also included as a dependent is a foster child if he or she is a member of your household for the entire year except for temporary absence. Speak to your local CPA if you have a question about the relationship or the other four qualifying tests of claiming someone as a dependent on your tax return.

Need Professional Help?

If you need help with "Taxes - My Tax Return" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed tax preparer for a free, no-obligation consultation.